MECHANICAL FITTER (HGV)
£Competitive + O/T
7:30 – 3:30 (Mon – Fri)
Our well-established client, with operations at many of the UK’s busiest ports, is seeking a time served, Mechanical Fitter, to join their well-established team.
As an experienced Plant Mechanic / HGV Fitter you will be required to undertake planned maintenance and servicing of all port equipment, such as reach stackers, fork-lift trucks, trailers and shunt units. You will also be required to respond to breakdowns and failures using problem solving techniques to return the equipment to service with minimum downtime. You will need a full driving licence for this role in order to attend breakdowns off site and at other sites in the area.
As a key member of the engineering team you will assist in planning maintenance and servicing activities in line with statutory requirements and manufacturers specifications.
As the role is within a multi-skilled and fully flexible, working environment skills in other trades would be a distinct advantage. Experience of hydraulic/Pneumatic systems, burning, welding and mobile plant electrics would also be desirable.
The work entails working outside in all weather conditions and the ability to work at heights.
The ideal candidate will hold an ONC in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, as a minimum and is likely to have at least three years’ experience following completion of a formal apprenticeship. You will also be fully committed to working to health and safety best practice.
Mechanical FitterPersonal Specification:
- A time served apprentice trained fitter, qualified to City & Guilds level 3, or ONC
- Highly motivated and proactive approach to Health and Safety legislation
- Computer literate, Microsoft Office
- Good team player
- Flexible and reliable
- Driving Licence
- Ability to read Hydraulic, Pneumatic and electrical system drawings
- Capable of making decisions quickly and effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Respond to breakdown and failure of mechanical/electrical equipment effectively and efficiently using problem solving techniques to ensure minimum downtime
- Maintain and service all mechanical/electrical equipment in line with pre-planned maintenance and total preventative maintenance regimes
- Undertake all duties as directed by Engineering Superintendent within this multi-skilled, flexible working, environment
- Advise Engineering Superintendent on requirements for mechanical/electrical spares and contractor input
- Travel to other PD Ports as required
- At all times adhere to the Company Health & Safety Policy
- Communicate effectively with all departments and external Contractors
You may currently be working as an HGV Technician, HGV Fitter, HGV Repair, Heavy Goods Vehicle Technician, HGV Mechanic, Plant Fitter, and Mobile Fitter.